Friday, January 31, 2014

What I read January 2014


My New Years resolution was to read more which some people find ironic because I read more then most people. I love to read, but I often find myself "surfing" more then I like to admit. Honestly, I do not even find it as relaxing as sinking my teeth into a really good book. I kind of kicked things off back in September, for my birthday I got a subscription to the NY Times. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy sipping a cup of tea on a rainy Sunday afternoon with TFOLT at my side and a roaring fire, gobbling up the NY Times. That my friends is one of the most perfect days in my book. On to what I read in January, the good, the bad and ugly.

1.

The Psychopath Inside was by far the best book I have read this month. Dr. Fallon, a neuroscientist and professor does a fabulous job of explaining complicated neuroscience of the brain in easy to understand language without dumbing it down. It is a fascinated memoir/science book on the brain with regards to psychopaths. I could not put the book down and I devoured the book in a couple of sittings. 

2.  


Another memoir about Kay Redfield Jamison, a psychologist and someone who is bipolar and how she dealt with being a widow. It truly was a beautifully written book where we were not a detail was spared as the author chronicled her life and her husband's battle with cancer.  It was heartbreaking story but not because the author's husband dies but because it seemed these two people had the saddest lives on the planet. Both are famous for their works, but all their life is about is work. 


3.


I am not really sure how I feel about this book. Is it a literary classic like some people claim? no! Is it a horrible book written abut materialism and characters who lack depth? no! What it is a simple fable, a story we have all been told through out time. 

4.



I purchased this book after it showed up in my Amazon feed. Please do not confuse this Catholic Author Michael O'Brien with "the" Catholic Author Michael O'Brien. This author starts out by telling us that this book has been in a work in progress since 1995 after he had a series of dreams. He poured his own money into it including the hiring of several proof readers. It has been rejected by just about everyone which instead of listening to the feed back of the people who actually read the book, the author takes the road of bitter and anger writer that no one is understanding his message that he must get out. As I read through the book, I kept on thinking one of two things: I want my 99 cents back as this has been the biggest waste of money, I have ever spent and boy have I wasted my money on some pretty lame things. Or the author needs to demand his money back from these so called proof readers who helped him with this book. It is hard to get past the grammatical and spelling errors of the book and actually dive into the subject matter. Of course maybe it is better just to focus on his grammatical and spelling errors as the author makes many erroneous theology mistakes with regards to the Catholic faith. I cannot recommend this book to anyone. It is not even one of those badly written books that you get a laugh over. This book has left me feeling incredible sad for the author and his misguided ideas.

5.


Why yes another memoir. I always love to dive into the psychology of why people do certain things like oh, joining a cult and not knowing they are in a cult. This book was a great read. Not only is this book about gardening, sustainable organic gardening, it was a book about a young lady who grew up and what that means when your ideals meet head on with your family. 

I do like to unwind with some really light reading...picture books for adults. My favorites this month:

6.



Did you know we live in an atomic ranch home? I love flipping through these books and reading up on "what were they thinking".

7.


One of my biggest regrets in life is that Ree Drummond is not my next door neighbor. Of course she would probably be appalled at what I feed my kids, DINNER and it is gourmet tonight! Not one but two entrees,  Cheerios with milk or Oatmeal. We are living high off the hog!

Kindle Books: I have such mix emotions about e-readers. I love how portable and easy to use the readers are but it seriously cannot take the place of a book. I prefer hard copies over the e-reader. So what if my elbow cannot support the weight. 

8.  


A witty funny book about one man's quest to save money. I am not sure how much his wife was on board, but hey he got a book out of it. 

9.


Step to step guide to getting rid of the junk in your life. There is nothing new in this book that you have not read else where and the book is only so so in the writing department. If you are going to retell the same story over your writing better be fabulous. But what do I know. Apparently the two authors have a lecture series and other books for which they are able to eek out a living. 





No comments: