Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A New Way


I have had to change the way I eat do to some health problems. I am still in the midst of testing. It has been a challenge to cook all meals at home. Everything has to be prepared from scratch on top of the cooking every meal. There are no short cuts. I am also challenged with missing out on some major food groups like limited dairy and no grain. 

One can only eat so many eggs for breakfast. I have been making a hot grains free cereal for breakfast of late. I have found that this recipe is much better if you make it up the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. 

Ingredients for 3 servings:

1 can of coconut milk
3 eggs * can omit but increase the coconut milk by a  1/2 cup
1 1/2 cup of nuts any combination from Almonds to Cashews to Walnuts whatever you have on hand
1 very ripe banana omit if you use a sweetener

Directions:

1. Add the 3 eggs to the coconut milk and mix. Bring to a slow boil. I like to use Trader Joe's coconut milk: 


2. While the eggs and coconut milk come to a boil,, toast your nuts. Do not skip this step it is what makes this dish so good. I use a cast iron pan and toast the nuts for a minutes or two. I only do 1/2 cup at a time. Watch it carefully. It can go from just fine to burnt with a blink of an eye. 


What you do not own a cast iron pan? Okay I am not judging you, well silently maybe. What is wrong with you? By the way you can use whole nuts. I am just using slivers of almonds because I got it on sale for $2.49 a pound. 

3. Use your food processor to grind up nuts. Beware of going to long with the grinding as you can make a nut butter. I like my cereal with a crunch; I use this mini food processor as there is no danger of making nut butter plus it leaves it a little crunchy as you can not get a real fine texture with it.



If you absolutely hate the idea of toasting nuts and grinding the nuts you could use almond meal. I love Trader Joe's Almond Meal. Use 1.5 cups of the almond meal. 


4. By this time your egg and milk mixture should be at a slow boil. Add your nuts and stir. Cook on low for 5 minutes. Be careful it can burn. 

5. Add banana at this point. I keep my overripe bananas in the freezer. I literally just throw the banana in the freezer peel and all and nuke my frozen banana for 30 seconds. I take a knife and cut the skin length wise. The banana will slip right out of the peel. Omit if you are going to add a sweetener to the cereal. 

6. Dish up for 3 servings and refrigerate overnight:


7. The next morning warm up in the microwave. Here you can add your favorite toppings from cinnamon and nutmeg, to fruit to maple syrup. Whatever your hearts desire. My favorite is either cinnamon with berries or cinnamon with apple sauce. 







No comments: